The 2020 JBT Las Vegas Main Event- event details and complete rules
THE MAIN EVENT SINGLES CHAMPIONSHIP
South Point Bowling Plaza
December 27-30, 2020
open scratch, girls scratch, and handicap divisions
Qualifying Squad Times:
December 27: 9 AM, 1 PM, 5 PM
December 28: 9 AM, 5 PM
December 29: 9 AM, 1 PM
Semifinals Squad Time: December 30: 12 PM
Finals Squad Time: December 30: 3 PM (approx.)
Entry fee: $100 per bowler in Open Scratch
$80 per bowler in Girls Scratch
$80 per bowler in Handicap
$60 per re-entry
You may sign up for up to two squads in advance. Additional re-entries on-site.
Optional brackets available on-site.
Format: - Bowlers roll 6 games across 12 lanes in the qualifying round. All qualifying squads are on fresh oil. *Switching pairs may be limited or removed as covid regulations dictate. Stay posted here and at our facebook page.
- The top 40% of the Open Scratch first-time entries to a maximum of 40, top 40% Handicap first-time entries to a max of 40, and the top 50% Girls Scratch first-time scores to a maximum of 24, advance to the semifinals.
- Semifinals are 8 games of matchplay, with 30 pin bonuses for wins, 15 for ties. Scores carry forward from qualifying.
- The top 8 Open Scratch, top 8 Handicap, and top 6 Girls Scratch bowlers advance to the stepladder finals.
Prize Fund: $3,000 scholarship guaranteed first place in Open Scratch, $1,500 in Handicap, and $1,500 in Girls Scratch. 1:10 bowlers receive scholarship prizes.
"WARM UP" OPTIONAL SWEEPER SIDE EVENT
When: December 26, 2020
Host: South Point Bowling Plaza
Divisions: scratch and handicap divisions
Starting Time: Noon, 3 PM, (re-oil), 6 PM, 9 PM. Unlimited re-entries allowed as space permits.
Entry fee: $30 per bowler per squad
Format: Bowlers roll 4 games across 8 lanes in the qualifying round. The top 1:8 scores in each division of the four squads combined will receive scholarship prizes, with at least two scratch female prizes awarded.
MAIN EVENT DOUBLES CHAMPIONSHIP
When: December 27-30, 2020
Host: South Point Bowling Plaza
Divisions: scratch and handicap divisions
December 27: 9 PM
December 28: 1 PM, 9 PM
(no doubles squads on the 29th)
December 30: 9 AM
All squads on fresh oil (different pattern from singles)
Entry fee: $60 per team ($20 per bowler)
Format: Bowlers will roll 3 team games on the same pair. There is no ‘cut’, semifinals, or finals. The highest team total after the last squad wins the championship. Bowlers may re-enter with the same or different partners as much as they wish, and may ‘cash’ multiple times with different partners, but only once with the same partner.
Prize Fund: $1,000/ team guaranteed first place. 1:10 entries earn scholarship prizes based on their final standings.
MAIN EVENT 5-PERSON TEAM NO-TAP CHAMPIONSHIP
When: December 29, 2020
Host: South Point Bowling Plaza
Divisions: scratch and handicap divisions (handicap for this event is 70% of 200)
Starting Time: 5 PM & 8 PM (no re-entries, choose one squad only)
Entry fee: $100 per team ($20 per person)
Format: Bowlers will roll 3 team games on the same pair. There is no ‘cut’, semifinals, or finals. The highest team total wins the championship. Up to 2 bowlers may be ‘adults’, meaning anyone age 22 or over on 8/1/20, subject to the same average rules in handicap teams.
Prize Fund: $600/ team guaranteed first place. 1:8 teams earn scholarship prizes based on their final standings.
Note: The Main Event Singles cut scores will be calculated and announced at some point during the Team events, so it’s a great way to ‘kill some time’ while we crunch the numbers!
JUNIOR GOLD QUALIFIER
When: December 28, 2020
Host: South Point Bowling Center (the 'regular' center is upstairs, in the parallel hallway to the one leading to the Plaza.
Divisions: scratch only
Starting Time: 9 PM (one squad only)
Entry fee: $60, bowlers must be 2020-21 USBC Junior Gold cardholders to participate, cards may be purchased on-site.
Format: Bowlers will roll 3 games on 3 pairs. Moving pairs may be reduced or eliminated as covid conditions dictate. There is no ‘cut’, semifinals, or finals. The highest 1:5 bowlers per division earn 2021 Gold Finals spots. The 'major fraction' rule will be in effect regarding the potential final spot. Spots in 'U12', 'U15', 'U-17', and 'U20', both boy and girl, will be awarded if entries permit. Bowlers may choose to move up if not enough entries in their age/gender division. Additional rules available on-site.
Note: Gold squad scores cannot be used as your Main Event qualifying squad (since it's only 3 games, in a different center).
2020 Main Event entering average details- if you are bowling ANY handicap event please read this:
- If you are a JBT bowler and have 15 games of 2020-21 JBT competition in by Main Event, you don’t need to do anything further about your average, we will take care of it.
- Otherwise, we need your highest average as of 12/7/2020 from ANY form of organized competition that keeps an average chart: leagues, tournament clubs, high school bowling, or anything else. That average must be of 15 games or more.
- If you only bowl in one thing in 2020-21, you just need your average sheet from the closest session to 12/7. If you bowl in more than one thing, compare them all and submit whatever is highest. If you're not sure, submit them all and we'll sort it out for you.
- Any average from a ‘sport’ league, ‘pba experience’ league, or any other league where non-house conditions are used (NOT necessarily declared 'sport' leagues), may be re-rated, with JBT reserving the right to further reduce or increase that average prior to the start of competition.. Any ‘sport’ average you are using must be declared as such. Be careful in submitting your averages, as your converted ‘sport’ average might be higher than your ‘house’ average (and must therefore be used at Main Event)!
- If you don’t have 15 games in 2020-21 competition by 12/7, but you do by the time Main Event starts, you must submit your average as stated above from the week you do reach at least 15 games.
- If you don’t have 15 games in any 2020-21 competition by Main Event, but do have finishing ‘book’ averages from previous seasons, we will apply the JBT re-rating system to your average. Please contact us and let us know if this is the case.
- If you have ANY finishing (‘book’) averages- from any form of competition- that are 10 or more pins HIGHER than the average(s) stated above, in any of the last 5 bowling seasons, you must also declare those. Many averages can be found on bowl.com, but averages from non-USBC leagues, high school bowling, tournament clubs, etc, are often not, so check carefully! Anyone with 10+ pin higher averages will be re-rated by the Main Event for their 2020 entering average. This “10-pin rule” is used by many leagues and tournaments to smooth out the often significant differences in difficulty from one center and league to the next. It won’t apply to most of you, but if it does, it can be confusing, so please contact us if you have any questions and we’ll be happy to help.
- Main Event staff reserves the right to further re-rate a bowler's entering average, based on prior Main Event results, or any other information received and deemed reliable by the sole discretion of tournament management. The goal is to have a bowler's average represent their truest current ability.
- As always, you must provide the above averages and paperwork to be able to bowl in the singles semifinals, or ‘cash’ in any side event. Again, don’t hold on to your entry until 12/7- send in the entry without average info, then mail, email, scan, fax, or bring the average info to the tournament.
2020 LAS VEGAS MAIN EVENT RULES- please read these carefully!
1. This event is open to anyone age 21 or under as of 8/1/20 , regardless of ‘junior’ or ‘adult’ status, excluding past or present PBA or PWBA members or any other international professional organization.
2. Entries are accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis. Field size is limited in each qualifying squad and varies from squad to squad.
3. Entry fee: The entry fee is $100 in Open SIngles ($30 linage, $60 prizes and awards, $10 expenses); and $80 in Handicap and Girls Scratch Singles ($30 linage, $40 prizes and awards, $10 expenses). Singles re-entries in all divisions are $60 ($20 linage, $40 prizes and awards, $0 expenses). Doubles entry fees are $40 per team ($13.50 linage, $25 awards, $1.50 expenses). Team entry fee is $100 per team ($40 linage, $60 awards). Awards fees returned 100%. Full entry fees must accompany your entry form to guarantee your entry. You may also prepay for your one singles re-entry squad, which is the only way to guarantee your re-entry.
4. Walk-in entries ARE permitted until each squad’s starting time. Unlimited re-entries are permitted in Singles and Doubles as space permits. Some squads are expected to sell out in advance, so we recommend mailing your completed entry form as soon as possible. We strongly encourage handicap bowlers to send in payment prior to sending in your 12/7 average verification, so that you may reserve your squad choice. Average verification (see rule 14) may later be sent by fax to 1-888-400-3350, or email to email@example.com.
5. Prepaid bowlers MUST check in at least 30 minutes prior to squad starting time, or risk losing their spot to wait-listed bowlers.
6. Personal checks from non-JBT members are only accepted until December 10, 2020. Entries postmarked after that time, or walk-ins, must be paid by cash or bank check. Returned checks are subject to a $30.00 fee. Please do not mail any entries postmarked after December 14, to ensure we receive it. Instead, email us and let us know you’re coming, and pay on-site.
7. CONFIRMATION IS AUTOMATIC. Unless you hear from us, your entry has been accepted for the squad(s) you requested. You may check on your entry status by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8a. Singles Format:
Qualifying: Bowlers in all divisions will roll 6 games across sixteen lanes in the qualifying round. Bowlers who re-enter will use their highest 6-game score. The top 40% Open Scratch scores (re-entries excluded) to a max of 40, top 40% handicap scores, re-entries excluded, to a max of 40, and top 50% Girls Scratch scores, re-entries excluded, to a max of 24, advance to the semifinals.
Semifinals: Bowlers will roll 8 additional games of matchplay. Bowlers receive a 30 pin bonus for each win, and 15 for each tie. All scores from qualifying carry forward. The top 8 scores in Open Scratch and Handicap, and the top 6 scores in Girls Scratch after the semifinals advance to the finals..
8b. Doubles Format:
All teams roll 3 team games on the same pair of lanes. This is a “beat the board” event; the highest 3 game doubles total after the final squad is the winner, with 1:10 teams receiving a scholarship prize. Unlimited re-entries are allowed, with the same or different partners, space-permitting, on a first-come, first-serve basis.
8c. Team Format:
There are two squads, Dec. 29th at 5 PM and 8 PM. 5-person teams roll 3 team games on the same pair of lanes, using no-tap scoring. The highest scoring teams per division on a 1:8 ratio earn scholarship prizes. Teams may have up to two ‘adult’ (age 22 or over as of 8/1/20) bowlers on their teams.
10. Ties: Ties for the final semifinal spot will be broken by a one game rolloff at 8 AM Dec. 30. Ties for the final spot in the finals will be broken by a two-frame rolloff. Ties in the finals will be broken by a one ball rolloff in scratch divisions and a two frame rolloff in the handicap division. Ties for final positions 9 and above (7 and above in Girls Scratch) will split any position prize money.
11. Attire: Bowlers are requested to wear slacks (slacks or skirts / skorts for girls), and a collared shirt. “Name shirts” or shirts promoting your local leagues / clubs are encouraged. Shorts are acceptable, provided they are of a neat, khaki-type material. No hats, t-shirts (unless directly bowling related) or sleeveless shirts, ripped or torn clothing, or clothing promoting alcohol, tobacco, or drugs may be worn. “Mock-turtlenecks” or "brand logo" shirts are okay. Directors’ decisions are final- if you’re not sure, don’t wear it!
12. Discipline: Proper behavior is demanded of all bowlers and requested of all spectators. Any abuse of bowling center equipment, audible obscenity, or other unbecoming conduct will result in 1) warning and/or 2) disqualification, subject to the sole discretion of tournament management. You may not get caught every time, but if you test us, you’ll get caught eventually. Parents are expected to set a good example and abide by the same rules. For questions on the JBT behavior policy, visit www.bowljbt.com or see any official.
13. Scholarships: Scholarships will be awarded to at least 1:10 entrants in each singles division based on final standings, with the posted guarantees. Final results and scholarship information will be posted at our website no later than January 31, 2021. Unofficial results will be posted on the website by January 3, 2021. Scholarships are awarded by the JBT Scholarship Fund. Claiming rules, forms, and information may be found on www.bowljbt.com.
14. Averages: Bowlers in any handicapped event must submit 1) their JBT average as of December 7, 2020; if none, 2) their HIGHEST 2020-21 average of 15 games or more, as of December 7, 2019, of ANY FORM OF ORGANIZED COMPETITION, including any traveling leagues / tours, high school bowling, or non-USBC certified leagues. Bowlers with less than 15 games as of 12/7 must submit their average from the week they reach 15 games in 20-21 league/tour play. Bowlers submitting ‘sport’, ‘PBA Experience’, or any ‘non house’ averages MUST report that the average they are stating is such, and are subject to re-rating prior to event start. If you mail your entry early, be sure to bring proof with you, or fax to us at 1-888-400-3350. Any average discovered to be incorrect, inadvertently or not, will result in that bowlers’ disqualification, forfeiture of all scholarships earned at the event, and suspension from future JBT events, subject to the sole discretion of tournament management. Bowlers who do not provide average proof will not be able to bowl in the semifinal or final rounds, or ‘cash’ in any side event.
5-YEAR RULE: If you have any finishing (‘book’) average from any form of organized competition (leagues, tournament clubs, etc.) more than 10 pins HIGHER than the average stated above, in any of the previous 5 bowling seasons, you must also state that average(s). You may not bowl at an average more than 10 pins lower than your highest 5 year average (after re-rates). Main Event staff reserves the right to further re-rate any averages, primarily but not exclusively based on prior Main Event results, for any reason prior to a bowlers' first squad time.
15. Rules not covered herein will be subject to 1) JBT / then 2) USBC rulebooks. Tournament management reserves all rights regarding the operation of this event.
DO NOT USE THE AOL EMAIL BELOW! (We can't figure out how to get rid of it). Use email@example.com.